I’ve always been the type of person who tries to save money any way I can. I only buy things I need that are on sale or second hand, I try not to impulse buy anything and I buy generic brand groceries instead of those higher priced name brand foods, for the most part. There are a few things however that I just cannot use the generics because they tastes just so bad! I figured i’d give a list of a few things that in my opinion, the name brand is worth the extra money.
5) Tuna. I just can’t deal with the cheaper brands anymore. It has to be Bumble Bee or Starkist for me, the store brands are so discolored and just tastes so blah! I have gotten to the point where I buy the Albacore only now.
4) Potato Chips. I generally don’t eat potato chips, but on occasion I get a hankering for a good old salty crunch chip. Every time I try generics I am completely let down. They have burned ones in it, ones that are so hard you can’t hardly eat them. Some are so salty it feels like you’re mouth is drying up and cracking or completely on the other end of the spectrum and no salt at all. So I splurge and get me a bag of Ruffles or Lays.
3) Soda’s. Now I haven’t had a soda in 8 years and I don’t miss them at all, but when I did drink them they had to be Coca Cola or Dr. Pepper! No Dr. Perky, no Mt. Lion.. bleck.
2) Peanut Butter. Give me Jif or none at all! The store named peanut butters just seem so sugary and kinda tastes like cardboard disguised as peanut butter. I’m finicky, what can I say!
And the number 1 thing that I just cannot do in generic brands is..
1) Macaroni and Cheese! About 6 months ago or so I decided to stop using boxed mac n cheese altogether and just spend the extra making it from scratch. That powdered cheese stuff is kinda grossing me out. I used to love Kraft mac n cheese but as I get older I’m finding more and more foods that I used to love now hate.. like Fast Food.. I’m down to Chick Fil A.. that’s it! The rest are just gross to me.. but that’s a different blog..lol Anyways.. have you tried the store bought mac n cheeses? I have yet to find one that tastes even remotely close to Krafts! None compare to my homemade but in a pinch.. it’s gonna have to be Kraft! (Velveeta is great but expensive!)
So.. how about you? Is there anything that’s not on my list that you just have to have the name brand only? Let me know.